Self-storage can be an excellent option for people who need to store some extra belongings. Knowing how to pack correctly is one of those storage unit hacks you'll soon master. Here are a few storage tips to get you started.
Steps on how to pack for self storage
Step 1: Sort through your belongings
The first step to simplifying your life is to sort through your belongings. This can be daunting, but it's essential to take the time to go through everything you own and decide what you need and what you can donate or sell.
Start by sorting your belongings into categories: clothing, furniture, electronics, etc. Then, within each category, separate the items into "must keep," "maybe keep," and "get rid of" piles. Be ruthless when sorting; if you haven't used an item in the past year, it's probably time to get rid of it.
Making a list of things you need and don't will help you sort through your belongings. Once you've gone through your belongings, take the time to organize them in a way that makes the most sense to you. For instance, some like to organize their items by type (clothing, electronics, etc.), while others want to organize by how often they plan on needing the item.
Step 2: Choose the right packing materials
Packing for a move can be stressful. There are many options, each with its own advantages and disadvantages. One of the most critical decisions is what packing materials to use.
The most popular packing material is bubble wrap. Bubble wrap is inexpensive and can be found at most stores. It is also effective at protecting items from damage. However, it can be bulky and takes up a lot of space.
Another option is packing peanuts. Packing peanuts are also inexpensive and can be found at most stores. They are not as effective as bubble wrap at protecting items from damage, but they take up less space than bubble wrap.
Another option is foam padding. Foam padding is more expensive than bubble wrap or packing peanuts, but it offers the best protection for your belongings. It is also less bulky than bubble wrap and takes up less space than packing peanuts.
Cost: $4 to $15 for a roll of bubble wrap; $1 to $3 for packing peanuts; and about $8 to $12 for foam padding.
Step 3: Pack your belongings systematically
When packing for a move, it is essential to pack your belongings systematically. This will help ensure that everything is packed securely and that you can find what you need when you unpack. Here are some tips for packing your belongings systematically:
- Begin by packing items you will not need until after you have moved, such as winter clothes or holiday decorations.
- Next, pack the items you will need immediately upon arriving at your new home, such as toiletries and bedding.
- Pack the large items last, such as furniture and appliances.
- Make sure to label each box with a description of its contents. This will make it easier to find things when you unpack.
Step 4: Label your boxes and containers
When it comes to packing for a move, an organizational system is key. If you take the time to label your boxes and containers, unpacking will be a breeze. Here are a few tips on how to label your boxes:
- Label each box with its contents. This will help you quickly find what you need when you're unpacking.
- Use different-colored markers or tape to distinguish between boxes that contain fragile items and those that don't. This way, you'll know which boxes to handle with caution.
- Label the outside of each box as well as the bottom. This way, you'll be able to tell which box is which even if they're turned upside down.
- Make sure all of your labels are legible and easy to read. This will make it easier to locate items you need.
Step 5: Transport your belongings to the self storage unit
If you are in the process of moving and have a lot of belongings that need to be stored, a storage unit may be the perfect solution. Transporting all of your belongings to the storage unit can seem daunting, but with a bit of preparation, it can be done quickly and easily. Here are a few tips to help make a move go smoothly:
- Start by packing up the smaller items first. This will make it easier to move around larger pieces and furniture.
- Use sturdy boxes or bins that can hold up against being stacked.
- Pack each box tightly, making sure there is no extra space inside. This will help keep your belongings safe during transport.
- Label each box with its contents, so you know what is inside when unpacking them at the storage unit.
- Use a blanket or heavy-duty plastic wrap to wrap furniture and other large items that could get damaged during transport.
- Make sure to label the boxes, so you know what is in each one. This will help keep you from getting mixed up when unpacking at the storage unit.
Thank you for reading our guide on how to pack your belongings for self-storage.
South Rock Storage is the place to go if you're looking for a reliable, honest, and affordable storage unit in Wichita, Kansas, for your belongings and furniture. We offer a wide selection of Wichita storage unit sizes and features, and we can help you find the right one for your needs. So call us at 316-618-8282 or fill out our online form to get started.
You may also like...
The Benefits of Storing Your Belongings in a Military Storage Unit
Storage units in Wichita, Kansas are a great way to store all of your belongings. Find out why a military storage unit is the best choice for you.