When it comes to storing important documents at a storage facility, everyone has questions on how to store documents safely in a storage unit. In this guide, we'll offer tips to keep your documents safe without worrying they'll be damaged or stolen.
Reasons to Use a Self-Storage Facility
There are many reasons to use a self storage facility to store your personal and business documents:
- A self storage facility provides a secure place to store your documents. Unlike a typical home, a self storage facility has security cameras and gates that require a key or access code to enter. This means that only you (and the people you authorize) can access your documents.
- A self storage facility is climate controlled. This means that the temperature and humidity levels in the facility are kept consistent, which prevents your documents from being damaged by extreme temperatures or moisture.
- It is accessible 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. This means that you can access your documents whenever you need them, even if the office where you normally work is closed.
- You can pack and unpack your documents by yourself. This means that you can store your documents in the way you want and only access the documents you need at a given time.
There are a lot of benefits to storing your documents in a self storage facility in Wichita, but the best reason is saving money. How?
- Personal documents, especially important ones, can't be stored in garages or attics without risk of the paper deteriorating. To control the relative humidity, they need to be stored within your home. The problem is this takes up valuable space within your home which may lead you to believe you need to upgrade. By using a dedicated storage unit for your personal documents you keep your documents in good condition and free up valuable square footage in your home.
- Businesses have a clear need for document storage and a need to maintain profitability. Self storage allows them to keep their documents secure, choose from different size storage units, and save on the costs of increased commercial office space.
How to Choose a Self Storage Facility
When it comes time to choose a self storage facility to store sensitive documents, you'll want to be sure to do your research. Not all facilities are created equal, and some may be more secure than others.
Here are a few tips on how to choose the best self storage facility for your needs:
- Ask around for recommendations. Friends, family, and colleagues may have personal experience with different storage facilities and can recommend one that is right for you.
- Check out the security features of each facility. This includes things like fencing, security cameras, and on-site staff.
- Read reviews online. This can give you a good idea of the quality of service offered by different facilities.
- Compare prices between facilities. Make sure you are getting the best deal possible for the amount of space you need. Note though that some facilities do not post their prices on their websites, so you may need to call to get a price quote.
- Make an appointment and go see the facility first hand. At this appointment you'll get to know the staff and can ask some questions about how this facility is different from others in the area.
How to Prepare your Documents for Safe Storage
When it comes time to store your sensitive documents, you want to be sure to take the necessary precautions. By following a few simple tips, you can ensure that your important papers are kept safe and secure.
- One of the most important things to remember is to choose a reliable self storage facility. Make sure to ask about security measures, such as video surveillance and on-site staff.
- Make sure you have a plan for retrieving your documents if needed. Know who to contact at the self storage facility in case of an emergency, and be sure to keep track of the access code or key that allows you into the unit.
- Finally, be sure to pack your documents carefully. You'll want to use packing materials that will protect them from moisture and dust. And don't forget to label each box with a description of its contents.
How to Pack Your Sensitive Documents Before Storage
Self-storage facilities provide a convenient and affordable way to store your documents safely, but it is worth taking some precautions while packing. Here are a few tips for storing documents at South Rock Storage.
- Make sure all documents are properly sealed in plastic bags or envelopes. This will help protect them from any possible damage. If possible, store your sensitive documents in an airtight container. This will help keep them from getting musty or moldy.
- Label each bag or envelope with a description of the contents. This will help you to keep track of your documents when picking them up.
- If possible, create an inventory list of all the documents you are storing. This will help you to make sure that you have all of your sensitive documents in the storage unit. If possible, put a label on the outside of each bag or envelope with the date it was taken out of your office or home.
- Store the bags or envelopes in a secure location within your self storage unit. This will help to keep them in the same condition as they were when you originally took them out of your office or home.
- Keep the inventory list up to date, and review it regularly. This will help you to make sure that your documents are properly stored at all times.
Storing your sensitive documents in a self storage facility is a great way to keep them safe and secure. By following the tips mentioned in this article, you can be sure that your documents will be well protected. If you are looking for a self storage facility in Wichita KS, be sure to check out the options available at South Rock Storage.
We have been helping individuals and company store their documents safely since 2006 and are here to help. Give us a call at