Consider a storage unit clean-out if you want to declutter your unit, free up some extra space, or end your lease. Not only will this task free up some valuable space, but it can also be a great way to get rid of old items that you no longer use or need. Following these simple steps, you can make your storage unit as clean as possible and ready for your next move.
If you are preparing to clean out a storage unit, there are a few things you will need to do to make the process as smooth and efficient as possible. Here are some tips on how to prepare for storage unit clean-outs:
Consider your emotional attachment to stuff
When cleaning out a storage unit, you must consider your emotional attachment to the items. "Stuff" can become a source of comfort and security in our lives, making it difficult to let go. Here are some tips for tackling storage unit clean-out:
- Create a plan. Start by creating a list of everything you want to keep and what you need to get rid of. This will help you focus on what's important and decide what to keep.
- Make sure your belongings are in good condition. Items that are damaged, outdated or unnecessary will likely be discarded first.
- Get organized. Once you have a clear idea of what you want to keep and what needs to go, it's time to get organized!
Doing an inventory will help you determine what needs to be cleaned out and eliminated. Knowing what is in the storage unit makes more efficient decisions regarding how much space to take up and how to organize the contents.
An inventory also allows you to plan for future needs. If you know that you will need more storage soon, preparations can be made before the purchase. You won't have to waste time looking for a storage unit that is already taken and filled with unwanted items.
Inventorying your storage unit will help declutter your life and free up valuable space. It's time-saving, too!
Get help from friends and family and set a day
There is no shame in admitting that you need help from friends and family to clean your storage unit. Most people feel more comfortable asking for help when they know a set day for the task. This way, they can control their emotions and avoid feeling overwhelmed.
Having a plan will also make the process more efficient. Start by creating a list of everything you need to clear out – physical and digital items. Next, decide on a day when everyone can come over and help you get started. Arrange transportation if necessary, and be sure to let everyone know what time to arrive.
If you're feeling overwhelmed, take time for yourself after everyone leaves. Set up some organizers so that all your belongings are easily accessible, and work through one category at a time.
Needed supplies to clean out a storage unit
If you are ready for a storage clean-out, you will need the following supplies:
- A garbage bag or large container to store all of the belongings that you remove from the storage unit
- Tape measure
- Broom or dustpan
- Lysol disinfectant
- Sponges or rags
Second: Clean Out a Storage Unit
When cleaning out a storage unit, it is essential to take care of all the items inside. Items such as clothes, furniture, and appliances can be damaged if they are not handled with care. Follow these steps to clean out a storage unit:
- Make a list of all the items that need to be cleaned out. This will help you determine what needs to go first.
- Sort through the items on your list and put them into categories.
- Sweep debris off the floor and into a trash can or bag.
- Remove all broken ornaments, pictures, and other pieces of furniture that may be dangerous.
- Unpack any large boxes or furniture items and set them up where they will fit in the space available.
Be in the right mood to start decluttering
When cleaning out a storage unit, the right mood is essential. If stressed or angry, you're likely to make mistakes that could lead to more clutter. Here are some tips for getting into the right mindset:
- Make a list of everything in the storage unit and what needs to be taken care of. This will help you prioritize your cleaning tasks and avoid putting off tasks requiring more attention until later.
- Set realistic expectations for how much time it will take to declutter the storage unit. Don't expect to clean it all in one day or even a few days. Take your time and work systematically through the items, one by one.
How to get rid of things with sentimental value
When cleaning out a storage unit, deciding what to keep and discard can be challenging. There are bound to be sentimental items that have some meaning to you, but you may not want them taking up space in your new home.
Here are a few tips for getting rid of things with sentimental value without feeling guilty:
- Make a list of the items and their corresponding values. This will help you weigh the importance of each item and make an informed decision about whether or not to keep it.
- Consider donating or selling the items online or at a local swap meet. This will allow you to eliminate them without having them take up space in your home or impact your budget too much.
- If you cannot sell or donate the item, consider shredding it or discarding it in a trashcan outside.
Sort stuff into categories like keep, sell, and toss.
When cleaning out a storage unit, it's vital to sort items into categories such as keep, sell, and toss. This will help you focus on what you need and make cleanup easier.
Here are some tips for sorting your storage unit:
- Start by grouping similar items together. For example, if you have books and magazines, put them together in one category.
- Look for items that you often use and can't live without. These are the things that you should keep.
- Consider tossing any item that you don't use or can't store properly. Trying to keep something that won't fit or is just a hassle to deal with is not worth your time.
- Make a list of the items you want to keep and place them in specific containers or boxes.
Stay on task and get the job done.
Once you've begun the clean-out process, one of the most helpful things you can do is to stay on task. Try to avoid distractions for yourself and anyone who may be helping you. Items could easily send you down a rabbit hole of memories, but staying on task helps ensure you get the job done as quickly as possible.
Third: Content Removal
Removing any content that you no longer want or could be hazardous when cleaning out a storage unit is essential. While your storage facility may have commercial garbage cans on-site, many prohibit dumping your personal junk there. So make sure you have a plan in place to remove your contents. There are many ways to do this, and the most effective depends on what the items are.
Many of the items you may be removing could be simple household items such as old magazines, newspapers, and clothes. These can be thrown away in your own trash bin, recycled, or hauled to the local dump.
If the storage unit contains materials that must be discarded using specific disposal safety protocols, professional help or hauling to a specialty dump may be necessary.
Creative ways to get rid of storage unit stuff.
Besides hauling your items to the trash, consider if they could be repurposed. Many communities rely upon charitable donations to help those in need. If the things you're discarding are in good shape, consider donating to a local thrift store or charitable group.
Local places in Wichita, KS, to donate your stuff to
When you're ready to eliminate all the clutter in your life and start fresh, consider donating your items to local charities. Here are a few places in Wichita, KS, where you can drop off your unwanted treasures:
It is a non-profit organization that provides employment, training, and support for people with disabilities and other barriers to employment. Their five store locations in Wichita, Kansas.
Goodwill Industries of Kansas accepts donations of clothing, shoes, and household items at its donation centers. Donations are tax-deductible; however, there are some items Goodwill Industries of Kansas cannot accept due to safety concerns or lack of demand from customers (for example mattresses). If you have any questions about whether your item is acceptable for donation, please contact the location nearest you for more information about their drop-off policies before dropping off your donation!
This organization located in N.Hillside, Wichita, KS provides meals, shelter, and services to people in need. They accept donations of clothing, shoes, and accessories. They do not accept electronics or computers, used mattresses, appliances, furniture, and opened or expired medication.
The five locations of DAV in Wichita, Kansas accept used clothing and household items to be distributed to veterans. They have a website where you can learn more about their mission and find a donation center in your area. You can also call or send them an email with any questions or concerns you may have about donating items.
Sell items from a storage unit.
If it's not going with you, not going to the trash, and isn't being donated, you could always consider selling your items from a storage unit clean-out. Whether it is something as simple as a yard sale or garage sale to taking your items to a consignment shop or pawn shop, the things you no longer want may still have a monetary value. The only thing to consider is if its possible value is worth your time trying to sell it.
Hire a junk removal company if necessary.
If you're in a hurry or don't have time to handle your clean-out, tapping a junk removal service is a popular choice. Here are a few reasons why:
- They're trained to do it right. Junk removal companies have professional crews that are well-trained in storage unit clean-out service procedures. This means they will get your storage unit clean and trash hauled away in no time.
- They're flexible. Junk removal companies know that not everyone is the same when getting rid of their stuff. They offer various removal services, from small moves to full container loads.
- They have the equipment you need. Junk removal companies have the tools and equipment to clear your storage unit out quickly and easily - from big trucks to trailers and forklifts if necessary.
If you are in Wichita, Kansas, and looking for extra storage space, don't hesitate to contact South Rock Storage. We can help you find a storage unit that can hold all your items at a reasonable price!
Here are some reasons to choose South Rock Storage for self-storage in Wichita, KS:
South Rock Storage is a self-storage facility dedicated to providing our customers with an easy and worry-free experience. Whether you need extra space for overflow items or the perfect place to store essential documents, South Rock Storage can help.
You may also like...
5 Most Popular Self-Storage Sizes
When it comes to self-storage, size matters. The most popular sizes for self-storage range from 50 sq.ft. to larger 300 sq.ft. units.